- Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
- School Type: University
- Scholarship: $1,000 - $4,000/Year
#Member of Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
#Member of the Research Universities’ Council of British Columbia
- Supply Chain Management
- Communication and Media
- Health and Human Services: Pre-Med/ Pre-Pharmacy/Pre-Dental
- Visual and Performing Arts: Performing Arts
- A not-for-profit university
- 20,000+ students enrolled including 3,000+ international from over 90 countries
- 140 + programs on campus with 9 faculties and schools
- 1 million 250 acre campus square feet of learning space and 40 acres of green space
- 1,000+ residential spaces for students
- 12 on-campus places to eat
- 95+ student clubs
- 2,000+ employees: faculty, support staff and administration
- Experiential learning: Co-op (Abroad) - Work study - Apprenticeship - Study abroad - Internship - Undergraduate research - Service learning - Field School - Professional practicums - Volunteer opportunities - Many more
University of Utah
University of Notre Dame
University of Southern Queensland
Southern Cross University
Thompson Rivers University (TRU) is a university located in Kamloops, a fast-growing city in British Columbia, Canada. Many programs offer work and study placements and there are options for all levels of English proficiency. The school is home to over 3,500 international students.
- Designated Learning Institution (DLI) - graduates are eligible for Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)
- There are options for a variety of ELP levels. ESL programs and other pathways are available for students without satisfactory ELP scores, and conditional acceptance is available.
TRU has many areas of study, with many bachelor’s degree programs. The school specializes in business, arts, education, and sciences. There are also graduate degrees in a few areas like business, nursing, and a Juris Doctor (lawyer) program. Trades programs and other undergrad programs are also available.
Students have to have ELP for direct entry, but there are options through ESL programs. ELP can be proven through:
- An ELP test, such as TOEFL and IELTS — to achieve direct entry, minimum scores are:
- TOEFL IBT: 88 with no section under 20
- IELTS: 6.5 with no section under 6
- TRU English Placement Test
It is recommended that students take a proficiency test to have more freedom to take different classes, but it’s not mandatory. ELP test scores must be sent directly to TRU.
- Application deadlines: Deadlines are usually just over four months before the start of the semester (for example, the deadline for September intake is May 1st)
- It is possible to receive acceptance after the deadline if there is space available. While students should always apply as early as possible, it is worth it to still try if it is after the deadline.
- Intakes: September, January, May
- Application fee: $100
- Processing time: 10-15 days for complete applications. Competitive programs may take longer
- Payment terms: Payment is due 30 days after the application deadline. Payment is per semester; it will be written in the acceptance letter
Kamloops is a sunny city, growing fast, with good public transport to and from the university. It is about 4-5 hours outside of Vancouver, British Columbia. There are options for homestay and residence. See fees below.
Tuition, Costs, and Financial Aid
Tuition is $9,177 CAD per semester, not including fees, for undergrads with some exceptions. Fees per semester will be somewhere around $1,200 per semester, not including housing.
- Undergraduate degrees: tuition comes to around $20,800 per year (for two semesters)
- Graduate degrees: tuition (without fees) usually comes to $8,000-$12,000 per semester.
For housing, expect to pay a placement fee ($100 for residence and $150 for homestay program). There is also a $420 security deposit for the homestay program.
- Homestay: $7,000/two semesters
- Residence: $5,310-$7950/two semesters
Some scholarships available for international students are:
- International athletic scholarship
- TRU Law international student award (JD program)
- International Social Media Ambassador Awards
- Diversity Scholarships
- Academic Excellence
- Exceptional Student Award