Royal Roads University is located in Colwood, Canada; twenty minutes from Victoria on Vancouver Island. The university is focused on adaptive learning, teaching, and research in a sustainable environment. The campus features beautiful Hatley Castle, a boat harbour, Italian and Japanese gardens, old growth forest, and gorgeous trails, all over lush land near Canada’s warmest city.
Royal Roads teaches many blended mode courses, allowing students to work in class for the connections and online for the flexibility. The focus of education at RRU is practical and relevant learning, taught by industry professionals. Admission to Royal Roads university is flexible, and they look at student’s holistic experiences rather than just their grades.
Students studying in the online or blended mode programs are required to live in the on campus residence. The residence buildings, Nixon and Millward, are also classroom buildings, right in the centre of campus. The international student services team at Royal Roads University can provide prospective students with help finding employment or accommodations, handling visa concerns, filing income tax, and any questions including health insurance or campus life in general.
The campus of Royal Roads University is located partly on the historic Dunsmuir Estate, any many of its original features can be found on the RRU campus. Some amazing highlights of the campus include:
- Community Garden — where staff and community can grow plants and vegetables
- Rose Garden — part of the original estate
- Japanese Garden — featuring a pond and a beautiful pavilion, designed by Isaburo Kishida in 1909
- Italian Garden — formal and pretty garden outside the castle
- Old growth trees — some of the oldest trees in British Columbia tower over this campus!
- Charlie’s trail — a beautiful trail showcasing many native plants, trees, and wildlife
- Greenhouse — the refurbished greenhouse is over 100 years old!
- Hatley Castle — the administrative offices at Royal Roads University are in a grand castle built in 1910
There are many programs offered at RRU for international students in the areas of liberal arts, business, and sustainability studies, though other disciplines are available. RRU programs focus on relevant, modern education and careers, and many are degree-completion programs. Some of the on-campus programs include:
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Business and Sustainability ($87,119 CAD)
- Bachelor of Arts in International Hotel Management ($87,119 CAD)
- Bachelor of Arts in Justice Studies ($42,412 CAD, degree completion two years)
- Master of Global Management ($33,475 CAD)
- MA in Intercultural and International Communication ($32,496 CAD)
Blended-mode programs include:
- MBA in Executive Management ($51,111 CAD)
- MA in Disaster and Emergency Management ($32,496 CAD)
- MA in Interdisciplinary studies ($36,199 CAD)
- MA in Learning and Technology ($32,496 CAD)
- Doctor of Social Sciences ($87,710 CAD)
*Tuition fees listed are for the whole program, not including ancillary fees.
Many bachelors degree programs at RRU are degree-completion programs. They are perfect for anyone with previous education, such as a related diploma. RRU has many transfer agreements around Canada, making this the perfect university choice for onshore international students and many others.
Expenses and Financial Aid
Costs at Royal Roads University for undergraduate programs are usually around $20,000-$25,000 CAD per year, not including fees. Masters degree programs are usually around $17,000 CAD per year, although the MBA program for example is around $25,000 CAD per year.
Students can expect ancillary fees from between $1,300 and $1,600 CAD per year.
There are many scholarship opportunities available to international students as well.